Networking Creatively During a Pandemic

I'm a professional networker.  I attend trade association events, participate in committee meetings, and visit clients in person, all in an effort to keep mine and my company's name out in the market and hopefully be the first choice if our type of service is needed.  So, what happens when we are hit by a pandemic and the world essentially shuts down?  You have to get creative.

The need for networking still exists.  Most of our industry businesses are essential and continue to serve clients.  How do you stay connected so that they know you are available and ready to help?  By now most of us know that virtual meetings are a great option.  I myself have set up numerous meetings via Zoom.  I have paired up with fellow Business Partners to set up virtual meetings and happy hours with our clients.  We have even created a standing day and time for one happy hour and anyone in the industry is encouraged to join.  I'm finding this to be highly successful.  Clients are grateful for the break and appreciate the opportunity to speak to us about something other than COVID-19.  I've also attended several committee meetings virtually.  I attend these meetings the exact same way I would if they were in person; I'm on time, pay attention, stay engaged.  Our clients are on these calls too and I want them to know that while the world around us has changed, my desire to be a resource for them has not.



Beyond virtual meetings, I have found networking success in a few other ways.  I have partnered with some industry friends to create this blog.  The intent is not only to keep everyone informed on what is currently happening, but also to add some levity, which we all need.  In addition, myself along with 3 other Business Partners have created a Facebook Page called 4 Anxious Extroverts.  The premise is that we are 4 professional networkers without the ability to network in person.  What happens when the anxiety of this fact takes over your thoughts?  You try to find something fun to change the focus.  This page was created solely for laughs.  We posts funny memes that are shared with everyone in the group.  It keeps everyone engaged and, hopefully, makes them laugh too.

Our new normal is tough for everyone.  Finding ways to stay connected can also be tough.  Sometimes a little creativity and outside the box thinking goes a long way.  Perhaps when things go back to normal, some of these efforts will become a permanent addition to in person networking.

Dani Bressler
Toepfer Construction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helpful websites - UPDATED AS WE RECEIVE MORE

Careful What You Wish For - Guest blog post

Staying Connected...Virtually